Wait wait... did you say MVC3 will have a deep story?

   Have you ever heard good news, but had a nagging suspicion that maybe things might not be as good as you think they are? That's how I feel about the announcement of Marvel Vs Capcom 3. Yay for a new installment, but ever since the announcement I've had a nagging doubt about this game. I think Shinkiro's artwork is teh awesome, so that's not a problem. I'm kind of worried that this game will become more like Marvel Nemesis: rise of the imperfects. instead of being more like MVC2 or TVC.Yea, I know the people who worked on TVC are working on this, and if it does turn out to be closer to that then I'm fine. What really worries me, however is this quote


from Kotaku's article 
"And unlike previous Marvel Vs. Capcom games, this latest iteration will have a strong storyline.

'It's important that game's have strong stories for Marvel," Baker said. "With fighting games it's not as essential as an action game or role playing game but we are very much insisting there be some cohesive kind of story for this game.' "
Wait, whut?  MVC 1 was about Onslaught (translated from nerd: A powerful villain formed from the union of Professor Xavier and Magneto's darkside ) Causing a rift between dimensions which brought the characters from their respective series together to defeat the threat to both their worlds. MVC2 was..well.. MVC2 didn't really explain much, but we had way too much fun putting together teams and working out crazy combos to even bother with the story. If I'm correct in my reasoning many of the characters storylines have little or no bearing on the overall story of a fighting game anyway.



I guess the real question is: Do fighting games even really need a cohesive story? It's good that they're there. Games like Gulity Gear and The King of Fighters are good at having a non intrusive story in a fighting game, And I suppose if you really didn't care much for that you could avoid the story mode at all costs and just play the "arcade mode". Let's just hope that Capcom doesn't go the Tekken 6 route, and separate the character's intros and endings from the arcade mode, Thus causing you to have to complete the story campaign to unlock them. That would be excessive douchebaggery on their part.

Of course I'm speculating, but this is out of concern for the fate of this game. I hope it turns out to be great. I really do, but seeing that most of this generation's mindset has to do with injecting things into games that really aren't what made the games great in the first place, One can only hope for the best, yet brace themselves for the worst.

Game on.

Source(s): Kotaku

Comments

Popular Posts